1.6.12

James Leng has created a fantastic blend of art, design, engineering and information display with this arduino controlled "Point Cloud" that you can watch in action below via the Creative Applications Networks website.

An arduino is a small hackable piece of hardware that lets you write programs on your computer and then upload them for use in controlling all kinds of motors, switches, lights, and other electronic devices. I bought one over a year ago and as time allows, I've tinkered away on it. I love the way it has helped me understand the full loop between software and hardware - an inventor's dream that I wish I had 20 years ago. 

The James Leng application is a visionary blend that is inspiring to watch. My first thought when I saw the image and read the blurb was that it might do things like contract/expand depending on temperature, undulate for wind, sit quietly for calm air, and so on. It doesn't seem to be that direct but I think that's a good thing. If you lived with "Point Cloud" for awhile, you'd see it 'behaving' and then experience the weather and eventually you'd understand how to interpret it. I don't know if that's what Leng intended but the project at any number of levels is really a fine piece of work.

No comments: